Gingerbread Muffins (Feast by Nigella Lawson)
- 1 2/3 (250gms) cups plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (I obmitted this)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup (50gms) packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (50gms) packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (150ml) whole milk (I used low fat organic)
- 1/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 tablespoons vegetable or corn oil (I used olive oil, but will try macadamia nut oil next time)
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- 4 tablespoons molasses (I used extra golden syrup)
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Grease or line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper muffin cups.
Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices in a large bowl. Whisk the egg in another bowl, then add the brown sugars, making sure to break up any lumps.
Add the milk and vinegar to the egg-brown sugar mixture then measure in the oil with a tablespoon. Use the same oily spoon to add the corn syrup and molasses so they don’t stick to it. Whisk the mixture to combine and add to the flour and spices.
Stir until mixed but still fairly lumpy-the mixture may be more runny than you expect for muffins- but you need the dense stickiness of gingerbread, rather than a cakey crumb. Spoon or pour the mixture into the muffin cups and bake for about 20 minutes until the tops are dry. Cool on a rack.
Yield: 12 muffins
WARNING : These will NOT last long – as you can one has already been devoured!