Soup(er) Sunday – Potato Chowder

Sorry to be so corny but I couldn’t resist. It’s definitely soup weather here at the moment so I thought I’d share a family favourite.

IMG_3012.JPG

Take the following ingredients and dice.

3 large potatoes
1 small carrot
1 stalk celery
1 small onion

IMG_3013.JPG

Add to a large pot with 4 cups of vegetable stock. Bring to boil, then cook covered until veggies are tender.

IMG_3014.JPG

Add 2 1/2 cups milk (any type you prefer).

IMG_3017.JPG

Meanwhile whisk together 4 tablespoons (5 for those in the USA) butterĀ  with 5 tablespoons (6 for USA) plain flour. Add to pot and stir over medium heat until soup mixture thickens.

IMG_3018.JPG

You can leave like this or puree with stick blender or food processor.

IMG_3020.JPG

Now, if you prefer a more cheesy taste you can add 1 cup of grated cheese turning this into cheesy potato chowder.

IMG_3021.JPG

Now enjoy. This is a very decadent soup, with or without the cheese, and has been loved by everyone we’ve ever served it to.

IMG_3022.JPG

6 Comments to “Soup(er) Sunday – Potato Chowder”

1. By Ailsa, June 3, 2012 @ 7:49 pm

That looks yummy! Will definitely give it a go. We all love soup here.

2. By Kathleen S., June 3, 2012 @ 11:12 pm

It looks yummy and very easy! No seasonings? No salt, pepper, etc?

Also before you were veg, did you use chicken broth and did that turn out OK? I have lots of chicken broth….

3. By Libby Withnall, June 4, 2012 @ 6:54 am

I never add seasonings to soup but you definitely could. If you add the cheese there’s quite enough saltiness I find. And yes, you can definitely use chicken broth. The one I used to use is actually vegetarain. I changed to this vegetable one because it is the most natural one I could find (no preservatives or add flavours). Let me know how you like it.

4. By Paola, June 4, 2012 @ 8:18 am

Yes, it was definitely soup weather yesterday. We had Sweet Potato soup. It really hit the spot.

5. By Noo, June 5, 2012 @ 1:39 pm

4 Tablespoon of what??Butter Oil??

6. By Jackie, June 6, 2012 @ 6:20 pm

Yum that looks so nice. Ive made three pots of soup in the last week or two. Had to make a chicken soup last night as Tony’s going to Victoria to race tomorrow so he wants to be able to heat it up in the trailers microwave.