Germany – Day 22 – The LONG journey home

Amy & I were lucky enough to score an empty seat between us so it was nice to be able to spread out a bit.

Shortly after take-off we were served some dinner. Since meals are small and your body gets all out of wack on long-haul flights, I always try to eat some of each meal. Sorry the photo is so bad, but my overhead light was not working.

As soon as dinner was cleared I put on my eye mask and head phones, hit play on Enya and went to sleep. Amazingly 6 hours later I woke up. I don’t believe I’ve EVER slept so long in one go on the plane.

With just a few hours before touchdown in Bangkok, we were served some breakfast.

From the sounds of things everyone slept really well on this flight. We arrived in Bangkok around 2pm local time. Such a lovely looking airport.

We had a couple of hours free time and were lucky enough to find a trolley to load all our bags onto.

We walked around for some time, checking out all the shops. I was especially excited to find a Boots!

And some Quality Street chocolates, which are my absolute favs. I was good and bought the smaller box :-).

We stopped for a meal. It was 4pm in the afternoon, but I believe it was our lunch.

I got a juice with guava, lime, watermelon (& something else). Delicous.

Amy and I also shared 2 toasted sandwiches but my egg & cheese one was just amazing. I’m definitely going to try to re-create it at home.* (Note to self – fried egg with cheese melted over, tomato, lettuce and mayo on toasted bread).*

With full tummies we went in search of somewhere to relax (and use the free wifi) until it was time to meet back up with the group. So nice to be able to put my feet up for a bit.

There was a Dairy Queen in the terminal so of course we had to get a Blizzard (my first one ever).

One last group photo of our group reflected on the ceiling.

At 6pm we had a BIG walk to our gate, then through security again ( we’d already been through once in this airport) which meant we had to throw out the water we’d JUST bought. While waiting to board we got to enjoy a Thai sunset.

Then finally we boarded the plane for the last part of the journey home. We left about 7.30pm.

We were given drinks and nuts, and I took some Panedine (due to the fact my ankle/legs were annoying me)…

and shortly afterwards we received dinner.

I then managed to get another few hours sleep before reading for the final few hours of the trip. We got to see the sunrise…

while we enjoyed breakfast. Okay, it might seem like I ate a lot, but honestly I ate no more than 1/3-1/2 of each meal.

Almost home… after a long day & night and 30 hours worth of travelling time.

Excuse the sun flare, but after all that time this was a VERY welcome sight.

We were off the plane and through customs in record time, but then had to wait over half an hour for luggage to be unloaded. We had already said our farewells to the group so headed right out to meet my Dad who was coming to pick us up. Being early Sunday morning we had a quick run home, where we had a wonderful welcome home from Christy and the pups.
We spent the rest of the day catching up with Christy, Nan & Pop, and had takeaway Thai (fitting since we’d just come from Thailand) for lunch, a ONE hour sleep, unpacked a bit, takeaway Pizza for dinner (getting groceries tomorrow) and watched some Glee, then Got to Dance with Christy when Kevin & Amy went up to bed. I went to sleep around 10pm (only to awake at 2am … ).

Tomorrow : Back to reality…

3 thoughts on “Germany – Day 22 – The LONG journey home

  1. Welcome home Libby. Thank you so much for blogging about yourwonderful trip to Germany. The food on your airlines looked quite nice. But you look very tired in that last photo. Enjoy catching up with your family and some sleep.

  2. Welcome back, Libby!

    You obviously had a wonderful time. Really enjoyed your pics.

Comments are closed.